- An internet connection (at least 2 MB/second.)
- Recommended: An up-to-date Windows 10 or MacOS dekstop or laptop.
- Optional for students only: An up-to-date Android or Apple mobile device.
- The free Microsoft Teams application.
- (Participating only in Teams online meetings does not require signing in the application. You can participate in Teams online meetings without an @omnia.fi or @edu.omnia.fi email address.)
- A headset with a microphone.
- Or participate in a quite location.
- A built-in or USB-connected webkamera (only necessary if you want to use a webkamera in teh online meeting).
Test your internet speed on the speedtest.net webpage. Before you click the GO -button, select a server in Amsterdam (After Helsinki, the nearest Teams online meeting servers are in Amsterdam).
Mobile device browsers do not support all the Teams online meeting features. Even though it may be technically possible, always use a desktop or laptop device with the Teams desktop application where possible.
If you must participate in a Teams online meeting with a mobile device, download and install the Teams mobile app. The Mobile app supports more features than a movile browser, but less than a desktop or laptop device with the Teams desktop application.
The Teams web browser versions are not supported in Omnia.
An audio device such as headset with a microphone and USB connector is recommended when using a Windows 10 or MacOS device to participate in a Teams online meeting. Other headset types may cause you to not hear others or be heard due to difficulties identifying and selecting what device you want to use.
If there are multiple participants in the same physical area, a conference microphone is recommended. Conference microphones are available to staff members when reserved in advance from the Omnia Helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org). Many of Omnia's larger meeting rooms already contain conference microphones.
If your connection is unstable/poor
- close your webcamera unless it is essential.
- close any other unnecessary applications on your device.
- ask others that are using your internet connection at home, to stop for the duration of your online meeting.
- move physically closer to your router.
- connect to your router with an ethernet cable.
- restart your router, if the connection is not working at all.
- try another internet connection, for example your phone data service. (Note! You are responsible for any costs incurred!)