Collaborate web rooms support working in small groups. This feature creates breakout rooms and allows teachers to move students from the main room to a specific breakout room (or if the teacher allows it, students can also manually move between rooms.)
In the breakout rooms, everyone has the rights to share content and use audio and video devices, no matter how the rights are set up in the main room.
How to set up and start breakout rooms
1. Click to open the Collaborate panel
2. Click Share Content
3. Click Breakout Groups
4. If you assign rooms randomly (automatically), select how many rooms you want, and if participants are allowed to move between the main room itself and any of the breakout rooms. Please note that the minimum number of participants is 4.
5. If you are setting up custom breakout rooms:
- Select if participants are allowed to move between the main room and the breakout rooms.
- Click on the breakout room name to rename them. Name the breakout rooms sensibly, eg according to the goal.
- Click the + icon to create more breakout rooms and click the trash icon to delete the breakout rooms.
6. Drag participants to the rooms to which they will be transferred in the small group start-up phase. At the end, click the Start button and start using the small group.
How to move between breakout rooms
1. If small groups are in use, the Attendee list appears slightly different. You can also see which breakout room you are in (or if you are in the Main Room)
2. If you are a moderator, or if you are a participant and the moderator has allowed it, you can move between breakout rooms or the main room by clicking the small door icon next to each breakout room name.
How to quit using breakout groups
To end the small groups, click the participant list open and click the end small groups button.